Das Mager-Buch

The Mager-Book: History of a Family over Four Centuries

Supplement to the "Mager Book" 1935

by Dr. Edwart Mager
Freiburg-im-Breisgau, 1972
pp. 22-51

Family Chronicles

Page 22

The Eichstätt Branch of the Family

If the discussion of this branch is given an especially large space, it in no way signifies a devaluation of the other branches.  It simply exceeds most of the others in numbers, especially when it comes to carriers of the name. Also, many of its members have been publicly known.  Finally, as the compiler of this family history also belongs to this branch, he naturally has a better familiarity with the details.

We have numerous records and documents concerning the personalities of F. X. Eduard Mager (1843 - 1910) and his wife, Cäcilia Freundorfer, whom he married only after the war. 

(Footnote 8)  District Court of Eichstätt, Estate records of Johann Baptist Mager, 1874

Page 23

The natures and deeds of them both are extensively dealt with in Mager Book '35.  Both - he of a philosophic intellect and strong spirited demeanor, she with a pragmatic vitality and determined responsibility to the care of the family - were impulsive and fervent souls, whose clash together finally had to be brought to an end.  Eduard spent his last years in Ingolstadt, the midpoint of his residential and railroad customer area.  He had brought his business, with the "MW" (Mager-Wecker/ Mager Alarms) to most of the Bavarian stretches of the railroad over the years.  These alarm clocks were treasured from Franconia to Upper Bavaria just like the Black Forest Mager clocks (9).

Eduard's wife Cäcilia (nee Freundorfer) (1839 - 1916) came from the large family of a teacher in Brennberg in the Bavarian Wood.  Her first name reflected the joy of music, which was zealously practiced in her parents' house as well as that of her paternal grandfather.  From there the musical talent definitely reached some descendants.  "Cilli" spent her last years living with her daughter, also named Cäcilia, who was a gifted singer.  They lived in the former St. Sebastian's Chapel, which the oldest son bought for the purpose of converting it into a home.  That, during her old age, was the family center, to which the grown children, and sometimes even her husband, frequently showed up. 

That the lonely fellow, in spite of a long separation, was still attached to his life partner, is shown by this little poem, which he dedicated on her birthday, only 3 months before his death:


My heart bears an old banner,

Dusty and crumpled,

The candles before it burned out,

as if it had never been brightly lit.


Oh, as I carefully brought it out today,

and bent the folded corners back,

I turned it to the morning light,

And there in pink the name was drawn:




Ingolstadt, November 22, 1909.


The Eichstätt Mager Children!!!  Of course they shall only be mentioned relatively briefly here, as their life histories up until 1935 have already been presented in detail in the first Mager Book.  A true to life portrait of the oldest, Eduard Johann (1866 - 1924), painted by

(Footnote 9) In 1940 the "Schwabach Daily" (volume 232) devoted a friendly commemorative article to "The Old Clockmaker Mager."  A Mager Alarm owned by a railroad official hangs in the much-visited restaurant "Hiasl - Stüble" in Oberschönau near Berchtesgaden. 

(Translator's note:  the "Hiasl-Stüble" (Hiasl-Stüberl), which may be translated as 'Matty's Room,'  is located at: Oberschönauer Str. 55, Schönau am Königssee, Bavaria, D-83471, Germany.  Tel. (from U.S.) 011-89-08652-3151.)

Page 24

(Painting)  Eduard Johann Mager, 1866 - 1924, Oil painting by E Derdzakian, Munich, around 1912.

the Munich painter E. Derdzakian around 1912, appears here.  He was an attorney from 1892 to 1896, then mayor of his father's hometown of Eichstätt until 1918, then taken away far too soon in 1924.  A tribute to his service as city leader, by the pen of his son, recently appeared in print (10).  His widow Juliana (nee Gardill), survived him 12 years, during which time she was dedicated to the enlargement of their old house, zealous gardening, short trips, and especially her grandchildren growing up in Freiburg.  The Gardill clan (originally "Cardillo") which is found today spread over upper Franconia, comes, according to recent research, whose publication is in the planning stages, from the  

(Footnote 10)  Mager, E. "Eichstätt Mayors of the 18th and 19th Century."  Newsletter of the Historical Society of Eichstätt, Volume 64 (1971).


southern Tyrol (Mölten, near Meran).  In Frankish documents from the 17th century they are referred to as "Welsche" (translator's note: this was a hard term to pin down.  It apparently  is an archaic term  once used in southern Germany for a foreigner, particularly of Latin extraction).

Gustav, the second born (1867 - 1919), also had to be mentioned in Mager Book '35 as having died.  The clock and jewelry business he founded in San Remo in 1889 was continued by his son Alessandro, whose own son, Paolo, is at his side, following him in the business.  Gustav's widow, Tullia, survived him by about 20 years.

To the third Eichstätt Mager brother, Franz Josef (1869 - 1954), a long life was granted.  Commendable founder and leader of the "Language Club of Munich," who is to this day still unforgotten by his students, he used his "retirement," which began in 1934, only to further his activities in the same areas, and continue his travels both domestic and abroad.  Significant public honors were bestowed upon him on the occasion of his 75th birthday (11). At the time, the sculptor W. Kruse completed a lifelike bronze bust of him.  The Second World War brought him another opportunity to serve:  in 1940 he was called to Krakow to give German lessons to the faculty at the University there (12).  In the Fall of 1943, because of the growing danger from air raids in Munich, he and his wife took up residence in Eichstätt at the home of his deceased brother Eduard.  His house in Munich was destroyed by fire resulting from an air raid in December, 1944. 

Shortly after the war he had to endure the pain of losing his life partner, Marie (nee Gardill).  He was then further employed as interpreter, language professor, and writer.  Under the pseudonym "Maestro di Monaco" he enriched the lifestyle pages of the "Eichstätt Courier" with many articles, memoirs of his youth and his travels, etc.  In good health and sharp minded, he was able to enjoy his 80th birthday, joyfully celebrated in the midst of his extended family.  He died after a short illness, 10 days after his 85th birthday in 1954. 

The next of the Eichstätt siblings to be mentioned is Franz Xaver (1870 - 1953), the clock maker, widely known throughout the city and countryside.  He passed a relatively peaceful life, spending most of his time in his clockwork shop on the Ostenstraße, while his wife Berta (nee Robl) dedicated herself to the attached grocery store.  Franz Xaver took the death of his oldest child, to whose children he was particularly attached, very hard.  His wife died in 1950 and he followed her 3 years later.  His memory is still very much alive to the older residents of Eichstätt.

Hermann, the next (unmarried) brother (1872 - 1947), worked as a high school teacher in Schweinfurt and Aschaffenburg, and then lived in Munich during his retirement.  He was a radical-left pacifist, and although

(Footnote 11)  Munich Latest News, May 15 and 19, 1939.

(Footnote 12)  There is an event worth remembering connected with this:  The chancellor of the university asked him to make an entry in his guest book.  Josef Mager wrote: "I am here not in hate, but in love," at which the chancellor tearfully embraced him.

Page 26

(Photo)  Josef Mager's 80th Birthday Celebration.  Eichstätt, May 18th, 1949. Sitting:  the celebrator.  Standing, from left:  Paula Mager (nee Wiedenmann), Otto Mager, Cilli Würfl Jr., Cilli Würfl (nee Mager), Mrs. Theresa Müller (housekeeper), Xaver Mager, Willi Gardill, half covered and behind him is Peter Würfl, Ida Gardill, Johanna Mager, Dr. Raimund Mager, Marie Luise Mager (nee Ungewitter), Friedrich Mager of Munich, Dr. Edwart Mager of Freiburg.  Photo taken by Max Gardill of Bamberg.

he held himself in check, he was subject to sinister political chicanery by the Hitler regime:  surveillance, house and mail searches, pension decreases.  He lived in Munich with his friend, Luitpold Hofmann, who was a support to him during this time of distress.  Though it was surely too much for his already fragile health, he fell into Bavarian post-war politics - and his hopes were dashed once again.  He therefore planned out a career in sociology, and gave various society-oriented lectures.  He also taught sociology at the Munich College of Extended Studies.  On July 27, 1947, he was speaking at a labor union meeting in Konstein, near Munich,  when he collapsed lifeless in the arms of his nephew Hermann, the podium left standing abandoned.   Many of his students, among them both sons of Duke Karl Theodor of Bavaria and the renowned physiology professor Karl Rein in Göttingen, retain their affection and memories of him.  He left to our Clan Archives an extensive body of writings.  His detailed journal entries as a war participant and

Page 27

prisoner (1916 - 1919) amount to invaluable documentation, and are testimony to a broad and humanitarian way of thinking.

The next siblings, Eva (1873 - 1957) and Otto (1875 - 1975) shared a path in life, as she stood by her brother the pastor's side as his faithful housekeeper.  His first assignment was in Denkendorf near Kipfenberg.  A monument to the pastors of the village stands in the graveyard there, and bears his name.  After a sabbatical at the monastery in St. Ottilien in 1910/1911, after which he no longer felt up to his dream to be a missionary, he was appointed as pastor at Mitteleschenbach, Weinberg, and Monheim respectively.  Soon after his being named to the Episcopal Spiritual Council in 1938,  he was appointed as Benefice of the Pilgrimage Church of "Maria End" in Altendorf near Mönheim.  It was there, in 1949, that he celebrated his Golden Jubilee of the priesthood, his 5 surviving siblings celebrating with him.

(Photo)  Priesthood Golden Jubilee of Rev. Otto Mager, Altendorf, near Eichstätt, July 24, 1947.

At the end of his life he was hospital chaplain and Benefice in Eichstätt, and died there in 1955 without suffering a long illness, while his devoted sister follow him in death 2 years later, after a month long confinement to bed. 

Page 28

Karl (1877 - 1951), College professor in Munich, began his retirement in 1939, and moved to Würzburg one year later to live with his daughter, Gertrude Ress.  In 1944 the family lost its home and belongings in an air raid.  With his wife, his daughter, and his grandchildren in tow, he found a meager refugee shelter in Steinwiesen near Kronach, where in 1946 he buried his life companion.  His daughter Gertrude has described in detail the privation suffered in this year as refugees (13).  Finally he found a temporary peaceful emergency accommmodation in the Spielberg Monastery (in Upper Bavaria).  In need of care, he married a second time at the age of 72, but the events of the recent years had noticeably affected his health, and 2 years later he closed his eyes for the last time.

With him went a spirited, artistic, creative personality full of fantasy and story-telling.  He was as capable of expressing this through the drawing pencil as through the writer's pen.  As a teacher, he was able to captivate his students.  His novel, "Hans Cardon, Student in Ingolstadt,"  grew to be especially treasured in Eichstätt.  His solidarity with his hometown is also evident in small publications in which he wrote a series of humor-spiced articles on the Eichstätt dialect (14). 

(Cartoon)  caption:  You can be old at 30, if you've weathered many a storm!

Text:  Drawing by Karl Mager (approx. 1895)

Cäcilia ("Cilli") Würfl (1878 - 1965), the next in the sibling order, was chosen by fate to outlive all of her siblings.  Indeed, she also had to grieve the premature loss of her son, a gifted musician, when he was only 34 years old.  With her husband, an officer of the court, she lived a "Philemon and Baucis existence."  (Translator's note:  They were poor). After 1954 they lived in their own house on Notre Dame Way, which had previously been the pharmacy for the Monastery, and after that they lived a few years as enthusiastic gardeners in the orphaned house of her sister-in-law, Julie Mager.

For Jörg Mager, the inventor and musician (1880 - 1939), whose life and work is thoroughly treated in Mager Book '35, his wish to devote his life to his lifes work, electronic music, was not to be fulfilled, unfortunately.  Distrustful  (even of supportive friends), bitter and jaded, he spent the rest of his life going gradually downwards.  We refer you to the discussion by his biographer, Emil Schenk, who gives an overview of the

(Footnote 13)  "Mager Page" 1968 and 1969

(Footnote 14)  Mager, Karl, A Bit About the Dialect of Eichstätt,  "Heimgarten,"   Supplement to the Eichstätt People's Paper - Eichstätt Courier, Volume 21 (1950), No. 34, 37, 42, 43.

Page 29

life of our inventor in his writing (15).  It touches on all the successes and failures, advances and intrigues, that accompanied his path.  The Nazi Party began putting pressure on him in 1933, and in 1936 he accepted an invitation from the film company "Ufa" in Berlin.  Finally, in spite of some success, that proved a disappointment.  Another hopeful beginning in Weimar came to nothing.  According to Schenk, he was relegated again to loneliness and poverty.  Already suffering ill health, he found himself a final position in the Manor of Baron Johannes von Gumppenberg in Pöttmes, who had once been a student of his.  However, he soon had to go into the hospital where, on April 7, 1939, "...having reconciled with himself, his affairs, and his god, his once high-flying spirit expired.  The brightly illuminating light of the striker," wrote Schenk, "was extinguished."

A closing obituary from one of the aforementioned writings states, "Jörg Mager had a problematic nature;  his essence wanted for an inner consistency.  If he coaxed new and unexpected tones from one of his instruments, he could rejoice to the heavens for hours or days.  But he could be saddened nearly to death if a serious obstacle lay in the way of his zealous ambitions....But, in a certain respect he was steady and consistent:  in the resolute struggle for the cultural good of mankind, and against harmful things that he was convinced sapped the very marrow from the people.  So...he fought fearlessly against the scourge of alcoholism and against the murderous war."

In spite of everything Jörg Mager's life's work didn't go to waste.  He could show at least 22 patents as the fruit of his untiring research and experiments.  The Nazi Regime forbade him from selling anything abroad.  With the end of the war in 1945, all of his patents expired without compensation, as did all German patents.   In part they were made use of by the victor nations,  at least those that Jörg's son Siegfried was unable to  conceal at the national broadcasting company, Telefunken AG.  In any case, Jörg Mager's inventions contributed significantly to the further development of electronics in the area of music production.  Jörg Mager is still remembered in the trade.  His name is cited to this day in the annals of music history (16). 

His widow Sophie (nee Mittermaier), whose older sister Alberta had been the first wife of Jörg's brother Xaver, survived him by about 10 years.  This courageous woman offered shelter and help to those returning from the war, and those who were dying.  Her brothers-in-law Hermann and

(Footnote 15)  Schenk, E.:  Jörg Mager, German Pioneer of Electro-music Research.  Published by the Darmstadt Municipal Administration for Culture, 1952.

(Footnote 16)  As in the Picture Work "The first 50 Years of the 20th Century" (Offenburg 1950), vol. 3, pg.90;  in Riemann's Music Lexicon of the German Book Society (1965), pp. 326 and 253;  in the "New Brockhaus" 1970;  in the lexicon "Musicians of the Central Rhineland", published by the Labor Society for Central Rhineland Music History, vol.1, Mainz 1972.

Page 30

Eduard (legal counselor) stood close by her in her years of bitter disappointment.  Hermann, who was particularly close to her, opined in a letter to her daughter Sophie, "Her life was a difficult struggle for the right to happiness and justice.  Inwardly she remained the victor in this struggle, because in the end even those who were for a long time not on her side had to bow to her in awe and admiration for her unwavering perseverance to that which seemed to her to be right, and for her faithful devotion to him whom she once loved.   (Translator's note: a picture of the daughter Sophie Mager, to whom this letter about her mother Sophie Mager was written, can be seen at Anne Marie Zellner's MyFamily.com Mager website). 

Also tragic, in another sense, was the fate of the youngest of the Eichstätt Mager siblings, Dr. Bartholomäus Mager (1883 - 1936).  A victim of politics (though also, it may be said, of his own imprudence), he was fired from the national service.  He then went first into private practice in Ornbau, then a few years later to Arnstadt (in Thüringen) to become medical officer for a health insurance plan.  Unwelcome by his colleagues there, he became greatly loved by the working class, whose politics he was closer to.  Certain medical procedures, whose permissibility is common today, brought him into conflict with the statutes in place at the time.  Worn down by persecution and detentions,  in a moment of emotional confusion he brought his life to an end.  "Judge not, lest ye be judged,"  called out the clergyman at the open grave.  A great number of the villagers, especially women of the working class, who had been helped in their time of need by the unselfish doctor, hurried to the graveside.  There the widow, sons, and brothers Josef and Hermann stood mourning together.  In 1968 the council of the city of Arnstadt named a street after him - the first time that a member of our clan was so honored.

His widow, Marie (nee Margraf) (1893 - 1969), lived with her growing sons a few more years in Anstadt, and then moved in with her son Albrecht in 1962.  Her final days were spent in suffering in a nursing home in Würzburg.

Grandchildren and Great-grandchildren of the Eichstätt Family

As the son of the oldest, Eduard Johann, the editor of this book, "the archivist," must briefly sketch his own   personal and professional life here.  From 1922 to 1939 as chief of medical research for a pharmaceutical company in Freiburg, he was then transferred to its daughter firm, Asta A.G. in Brackwede near Bielefeld in the same capacity.  His hometown called him back, and he took a position in the same branch of the industry in a smaller firm.  Though not a member of the Nazi Party, he was assigned by the then "Office for Health and Welfare"  to the Organization of the Industrial Medicine Service, Freiburg District.  In this capacity he was the Medical Officer for a "Social Trade Union" comprising about 60 small  businesses, until the annihilating air raid of 1944, and the French occupation a few months later, which put an end to it.  In 1946 he was called by the Baden Labor Minister to be District Occupational Physician and consultant for

Page 31

Public Health.  Further stages were:  Founding a small magazine, "The Industrial Physician," that was well received in the entire country, and then getting involved with the "Journal for Occupational Medicine and Safety," for which he was soon chosen to be Editor-in-Chief;   along with that, teaching at the College for Extended Studies in Freiburg, and a commission to give lectures in 'Workplace Hygiene" at the University of Freiburg;  a 3 month work/study trip throughout the United States in 1953;  and a term as leader of the District Institute for Occupational Medicine in Karlsruhe (though maintaining his residence in Freiburg) in 1954. 

In 1958, he retired and built a small vacation home on the property of his late parents' home in Eichstätt.  He again took up the research on the family, as well as studying history, and writing articles about the history of the City of Eichstätt (17). 

(Photo)  Celebration of the Golden Anniversay of Edwart and Marie Luise Mager, Freiburg-im-Breisgau, March 21, 1971.  From left to right:  Ilse Völker (nee Mager), Georg Lell, Marie Luise Mager (nee Ungewitter), Ernst Gerhard Völker, Dr. Edwart Mager, Dr. Heinz Lell, Eckhardt Lell (in front), Uta Völker, Johannes Lell, Monika Lell, Sabine Völker, Jutta Lell (nee Mager).  (Grandson Otward Völker could not be there).

(Footnote 17)  Among others, in addition to professional publications, in the Journal of the Historical Association of Eichstätt, vol. 60 (1965), pg. 54 and vol. 61 (1965/66), pg. 93;  Historical Papers for Greater Eichstätt, vol. 14 (1965), No. 4 and 5, vol. 15 (1966), No. 1, 5, 6, 7, vol.16 (1967), No. 1, 3-6, vol. 17 (1968), no. 1 and 2, vol. 18 (1969), no. 2 and 4, vol. 19 (1970), no. 1, 2, 3, vol. 20 (1971), no. 1, 3, 4.

Page 32

By the side of the untiring and selfless caregiver of the family, spouse Marie Luise (nee Ungewitter), the "archivist" was able to celebrate the Golden Wedding Anniversary in early 1971, surrounded by his family.  His only son, Otward, never returned from the disastrous war with the Russians. The lives of his daughters have gone as follows:

Ilse (1924), after her year of compulsory service and factory work, received her diploma as a licensed midwife after 2 years at the State School of Midwifery in Stuttgart.  She then practiced in association with a private clinic in Freiburg.  In 1946 she married Ernst Gerhard Völker who was still in training at the time.  He then went to Freiburg, and thereafter to the Federal Economics Ministry in Bonn, acheiving a place on the Executive Council.  After leaving there, he took a position as the director of  the motor vehicle insurance company "HUK Coburg," to which he brought a significant upturn.  The family lives in a well-appointed house not far from the Veste Coburg (translator's note:  a certain large, walled castle in Coburg).  Their 2 daughters are working, while their son is a student.

Jutta (1926), after passing her school exit exams in Freiburg, studied modern languages, spending part of the time in France and Italy.  She, too, had to do compulsory service. During the delay between her graduation and  beginning university studies, which was due to war conditions, she did temporary work, and learned book-binding from the renowned book-binder Eva Aschoff in Freiburg.  In 1955 she married the then medical student Heinz Lell, who finished his studies in 1956.  Since 1965, having completed a residency, he has been a board certified internal medicine specialist in Reutlingen.  Jutta has been kept very busy as doctor's wife, and mother of 4 lively children. 

Gustav's descendants:  Tecla (1890 - 1961), was the cheerful-natured wife of the auto transport entrepreneur Gaspare Asta in Bergamo.  She was widowed at a relatively early age, however, and took a position as the lady of the house for the retired marine engineer Ermenegildo d'Este.  In her later years, she resumed her original occupation as a teacher, primarily of German.  Very much attached to the family, she often received visits from her German relatives.  She remains in our memories as a lively conversationalist, with an ability to embellish the truth, of an impish, and at time satirical, sense of humor.  She felt more German than Italian, and indeed she gave aid to the German soldiers in the disaster of 1944.  Her only son, Gustavo Asta, is a salesman in Padua.  (Translator's note: The Italian government surrendered to the Allies in the Autumn of 1943, but the German forces still held almost all of Italy.  The Allies, working their way north from Sicily, captured Rome on June 4th, 1944.  Over the next 11 months they swept north through the rest of Italy, the Germans suffering over 1/2 million casualties in the process.)

Attilio (1893 - 1971), the respected health spa physician in Sanremo, lost his very pleasant wife Dricea to murder in 1932.  He remarried in 1935, for the sake of the children.  In 1940 he had to wear the uniform of military physician.   At first he was assigned to a coast-guarding regiment in Calabria, and then to the army of Field Marshal Badoglio in Greece, after whose defection from the fascist dictator (Editor's note: Mussolini) he found himself a German prisoner of war.  The hard years he had to endure in the POW camps of Sandbostel, Bremervörde, Dörvelden, and Belsen did nothing to strengthen his sympathies toward Germany.  His cousins Hermann (of

Page 33

Bremen) and Edwart tried in vain to acheive some relief for him.  Finally in September of 1945 he returned to Sanremo, re-building his practice and working in the local Department of Health, as well as in the socialist city council.   Although he had certain health problems, he was able to celebrate his Golden Jubilee as a Physician in 1970.  In a retirement home in Sanremo, where his wife Jane still lives, he completed his existence at the age of 77.  We are in possession of poems that he penned, that indicate warmhearted feeling, and deep thoughtfulness. 

Attilio's daughters didn't have a warm relationship with their step-mother.  Both of the older ones married a short time after their father's second wedding, and both of these marriages failed in a short time.  Luciana married again, to a German marine, Theo Stein, and moved with him to his home area in the Ruhr.  She gave him 2 promising children.  Vanya (diminutive form of the Russian "Ivan" after a Russian folksong by the same name) pursued various employment opportunities in London and Paris.  There, for some time, she was the housekeeper for the household of an American officer and his children.  Now living in Ventimiglia, she was comfortingly near to her father during his final months.

Arabella, the youngest, found help and support from her Aunt Tecla.  An attempt at convent life failed.  She is now employed, and has been dedicated to her son since 1957.

Alessandro, Gustav Mager's younger son (1898) took up his father's trade in Sanremo.  Respected citizen of his hometown, he was honored with the title of "Virtuous Knight of the Republic" in 1960, and in 1965 with that of "Official Knight" for Service to Society, especially in the area of athletics.  He retained his affection for his German roots.  His German cousins repeatedly visited him at his shop on Via Corradi.   He cheerfully took part in  the 1965 Eichstätt-Mager reunion with his wife, son, and daughter-in-law.  With pride can he look to his sons:  Gustavo the pharmacist, Carlo the bank officer, and Paolo the clockmaker and follower in the trade.  Each of these sons has one son of his own.

Of Josef Mager's sons (in Munich), it is known that the younger, Guido, was killed in the First World War at the age of 22.  The older, Raimund (2894 - 1970), whom the Earth also covers, having already joined his brother in the grave, was a victim of the evil of war:  In 1939 he did his service obligation as a civilian physician in East Prussia; Medical Officer in Vienna in 1942; Staff Physician in Cracow in March of 1943.  There he fell ill with a bad case of diphtheria, that contributed to a later heart condition.  On top of that he had the further misfortune of having his home and medical equipment (back in Munich) destroyed  in air raids in early 1943.  Struggling with many difficulties, the family lived in a refugee center called Unterdarching near Holzkirchen, where they later acquired a vacation home.  From 1946 to 1963 Raimund practiced

Page 34

as an ophthalmologist in Freising, and then moved back to Munich where he continued as a much sought after and successful ophthalmologist.  In a tragic irony, in 1970 he himself contracted a dangerous eye disease, and as a specialist in the field must surely have recognized the danger of threatening blindness.  After several operations and months-long clinic stays, during which his spouse Paula (nee Weidenmann) was a selfless caregiver, he succumbed to the agonizing suffering of a previously undetected lung cancer. 

Raimund Mager got from his father a lively spirit, an interest in good literature, a joy of traveling and

(Photo)  Dr. Raimund Mager with wife Paula, early 1970.

socializing, and a gift for languages.  From his mother came circumspection and a generous humor.  He was attached to his grandchildren with a big love, the children of his son Friedrich, who didn't live far from him in his final years.

Friedrich Mager (1928) lived with his grandfather Josef in Eichstätt after his parents' house was destroyed.  There he graduated from the high school - as a member of the fourth generation of Magers, by whom the benches of this school had been sat upon since 1854.  After a few years of study, he became a member of the staff of the "Süddeutscher Zeitung" in Munich; at first in the archives, then on the production staff, mainly in the areas of education and university affairs.  A large number of essays come from this time.  As a member of the Lutheran Academy he was received by President Kennedy in Washington, D.C. in 1962.  In the same year he led a commission to Ghana and Nigeria for the Dr. Carl Duisberg Foundation.  In 1964 he went over to Bavarian Broadcasting, where as chief of production for culture and politics he developed a

Page 35

(Photo)  The Friedrich Mager Family (1970).  From left:  Fidelis (8), Andrea (15), Friedrich (42), Irmgard (nee Decker) (41), Johannes (21), Cornelius (13)

lively occupation.  His extracurricular activities included becoming the first chairman of the Bavarian Association of Parents, and parent advisor for 2 Munich schools.  Of his published works, especially worth noting is a book about the modern student movement, that received considerable attention (18).  On the occassion of the 1965 family reunion, the clan archivist transferred the succession of the administration of the archives to his nephew Friedrich.

From two marriages Friedrich Mager has five children, the oldest in college, the youngest still in diapers.  At home in the suburb of Munich-Solln Friedrich's wife Irmgard (nee Decker) works as exemplary child rearer.  She herself has indeed spoken on child rearing on the radio.  Until the first year of her marriage she was employed for several years as head secretary of the Munich Academy of Fine Arts.

Johanna (1929), Raimund's daughter, passed her exams after the corresponding preparations, to become a qualified business instructor and salesperson.  She worked as a business instructor in Traunstein and Freising, and then as a consultant to the City Business School in Munich, and since 1970 as trade school director.  So she, too, inherited the gift of teaching ability from her grandfather.  In 1959 she married Rolf

(Footnote 18)  Mager, F., and Spinnarke, U., "What Do Students Want?"  Fischer-Library No. 949, 1967, new edition 1968, 155 pp.

Page 36

Leuchs, who was her colleague in Wasserburg-on-the-Inn at the time.   By him she has 2 fine stepsons.

Next in the line of the Eichstätt clockmaker's grandchildren come the children of the clockmaker Franz Xaver (1870 - 1953).  His namesake and oldest son (1897 - 1942), a country doctor of the best sort, settled in Gemünden-an-the-Main.  Unfortunately, he was destined to be among the casualties of the Second World War (see page 56).  Those who knew this magnificent person can appreciate how much his death shattered friends and family.  The destruction of the Gemünden Medical Institute by the conquering Americans in the final days of the war was yet another blow for the family, but they struggled on bravely through the crises.  Winfried (1925)(the doctor´s son), who was also wounded as a soldier toward the end of the war in the Vienna Woods, had to suffer the misery of one year in a prison camp because of his membership in the Hitler Youth.  Afterwards he began his studies in pharmacy in Würzburg, passing his exams in 1955.  He then was employed in pharmacies in Landau-on-the-Inn and Rosenheim, among others, and in 1967 he leased the monastery pharmacy in Landsberg-on-Lech.  His home, which he shares with his mother, is in Neu-Erpfting, near Landesberg.  His only daughter (the country doctor´s granddaughter now) is growing up in the custody of her mother in Landau.

Franz Xaver (the country doctor) also had 2 daughters, Rosemarie and Wiltrud.  Rosemarie, who was still serving her compulsory work service at war's end, went through the taking of Berlin by the Russians in 1945.  She managed to reach home after a difficult and exhausting journey, partly by foot, and partly by horse cart.  Right away she passed her school exams, and then, after passing an economics course, she was employed  as a stenographer, first at the refugee camp in Gemünden, and later in the National Health Office there.  She went on to marry the qualified psychologist Helmut Kirsch, who was working in the German Institute for Air Transport Research.  The couple, along with their 4 daughters, moved to Hamburg-Langenhorn in 1960.  The other daughter, Wiltrud (1928), was employed as a practical nurse in the Haar Sanatorium near Munich, where she did a 2 year course in nursing.  In 1955 she married a business teacher, Oskar Stiefvater in Munich.  He is now a consultant to the City Schools, and a Graduate School professor.  With 2 daughters she completes the half dozen of her mother's grandchildren.

Hermann (1889), clockmaker Xaver's second oldest son (and the country doctor's brother), worked as a ship's machinist, sailor, and auto mechanic.  After his time in America (1926 - 1929) he settled down in Bremen where he was employed at the world-renowned "Böttcherstraße" as an English-language tour guide.  (Translator's note:  Böttcherstraße is a short street in Bremen that is a concentration of arts, crafts, and museums, popular with tourists).  As an interpreter closely connected to the arts and artists, he was characterized by Floyd G. Rodgers (19):  "to really know the Boettcherstrasse you must know Hermann Mager...he is an integral part of the Boettcherstrasse itself" (20).  Singled out by Hitlerian political trickery,

(Footnote 19)  The American-German Review, September 1936, page 42.

(Footnote 20)  (Translator's note:  this footnote is a translation in German of the quote in English)

Page 37

he was conscripted into the Border Patrol and later, in 1945, into the armed forces.  He ended this "career" in a French POW camp.  The Böttcherstraße had fallen victim to wartime bombing, so Hermann and his family went back to Eichstätt.  He worked as a translator for the American Occupational Force, among others, and in 1949 was chosen as district chairman of the Bavarian Labor Federation.  He settled in Windsheim, and soon thereafter in Weißberg.  Untiringly busy in the trade unions, he especially tried to improve the lot of the poorly paid self-employed.  He founded a workers library, gave courses and television lectures, and nurtured  connections with East Germany.  For this he was brought before a judge, but he was acquitted since it had entailed only non-political visits (21).  He furthered his familiarity with  East-West relations through visits to East Berlin, Leipzig, Moscow, and Leningrad.

In 1964 Hermann Mager was chosen to be District Chairman of the German Peace Association.  As such he set up evening lectures, to which he and others would invite renowned theologians from both churches to be lead speaker (22).  In this way he furthered the cause of his Godfather and Uncle, Hermann, who, as mentioned, departed this life at a meeting in Konstein while in the arms of this Hermann.  Even a serious leg operation couldn't hinder him from continuing his multi-faceted activities during his retirement.  After the death of his wife Else (nee Salger), he remarried, having the need for help and care.  In 1971 he had to go through yet another leg operation.  His son Wilfried (1940) was swept up by a career as a health insurance officer, which he began in Weißburg and Eichstätt.  In 1968 he became an inspector with the health insurance firm AOK-Nuremberg, and built a beautiful single-family row house for his family of 3 in Katzwang near Schwabach. 

Anton, third son of Xaver the clockmaker and follower in the trade, who had founded a successful clock and jewelry business in Unterhingau in the Allgäu (Translator's note:  Allgäu ("ahll-goy") is the southwestern section of Bavaria), was also subject to difficulties as a result of the "Third Reich."  In 1943 he was called up to the armed forces, and settled in Eichstätt after the war, where he was able to call the stately house at 20 Marketplace his own.  Restless for change, he frequently changed towns, and wives.  He lived for a while in the area of Ingolstadt, then in Nuremberg, and finally in Behringsdorf near Nuremberg.  He was successful both in his business, and in dealings apart from his business.

Of Xaver's daughters, the oldest was Berta (1898 - 1962).  Through many years she molded the souls of both the house and the business of her husband, Hans Obster (1894 - 1969) in Freising.  His considerable clothing and textile warehouse was counted among the most renowned in the city.  After a long illness that couldn't be relieved even by a pilgrimage to Padua (which included a visit with cousin Tecla),  Berta died at the age of 64.  Her son Hans renovated his father's business in modern form.  Her daughter, Elisabeth, married Albert Katzer, a salesman in Freising, and followed the example of her mother as an enterprising businesswoman (and her son Hans is among the most promising trainees in radiation physics at the

(Footnote 21)  Report:  "Human Relations Instead of Eastern-Bloc Contact."  Eichstätt Courier, September, 1962.

(Footnote 22)  Reports:  Eichstätt Courier, November 9, 1963, and November 23, 1965. 

Page 38

Munich Institute of Technology). 

Therese, the younger of Xaver's daughters, died an unmarried teacher at the age of 38. 

Next to be mentioned in the grandchild generation are the twin daughters (1911) of Carl Mager (Translator's note:  There seems to be a lot of flexibility when it comes to names in German, which isn't as true in English.  This man's name appears spelled with a 'K' and a 'C' within a few pages of each other in the same book).  For the third time in the Eichstätt Mager branch a pair of sisters chose brothers to be their husbands.  Their father's artistic talent may have contributed to their choosing "servants of the arts" :  a drawing teacher and an art historian!  Of the Ress brothers, Fritz , a successful painter and sculptor as well as a very knowledgeable raiser of orchids, is now a graduate advisor while retired (in Fürstenfeldbruck).  His brother, Dr. Anton Ress, chosen to be district curator after a long period of being an officer in the Bavarian District Office for Monument Upkeep (primarily in the area of Northern Franconia).  In private life he is an enthusiastic collector of antiques, especially fine old glasses.

Now to the sisters themselves:  The older one (by minutes), Gertrud (of Fürstenfeldbruck), student at the Munich Academy of Arts and mother of four gifted children, all married already, has been a prolific painter, and also nurses a noteworthy talent for writing.  The Munich sister, Gabriele, works as a busy physician.  Of her three daughters, Saskia, the oldest, has spent considerable time in Belgium, and is studying art history (what else for someone with this name!?) (Translator's note:  I believe this refers to Rembrandt's first wife, Saskia, who was the model and/or subject of many of his paintings) (23a). The second sister, Ulrike, a political activist, is studying English and is working on the translation of an English book (23b).  Anna, the youngest of the three, is following in her mother's footsteps as a physician.

Of the two children of the Mager sister Cäcilia Würfl it can be reported that the musically gifted son, Peter, who began his higher education at the Munich Academy of Music in 1934, became organist and choir director at St. Vincent Parish Church in Munich.  Due to a psychic disorder he was admitted to the Munich Haar Hospital, and died there at the age of 34 from a septic joint inflammation.  His sister, Cilli, was an employee at the Eichstätt Savings Bank for a time.  She gave up that career, however, in order to dedicate herself to the care of her parents.  Along with that, she has done and still does a lot of writing work, mostly for professors at the theological college, who praise the reliability of her work.  In possession of two houses and a fairly large rock garden, which requires a lot of work, she leads a relatively carefree existence.

Next in line come the progeny of Jörg, the famous teacher and inventor.  It is no wonder that his children dedicated themselves to teaching and technical professions.  Sophie, the oldest, clever and warm-hearted

(Footnote 23a)  See:  Ress, Saskia, European Baroque Sculpture in the Lower Rhine Region - Crupello and his Times.  "Art Chronicles" vol. 27, 1968/69, pg. 74.

(Footnote 23b)  German Course program.  Stillit Books, Ltd., London, 1971.

Page 39

like her mother, worked many years as a school teacher in Spessartdörfen near Aschaffenburg.  After reaching retirement she chose her paternal home town of Eichstätt as her place of residence. (Translator's note:  Sophie related to this translator, in a conversation in 1982, that she lost her teaching job in the 1930's because she refused to salute Hitler).

Jörg the younger studied in Königsberg and Vienna , receiving his PhD. there in 1934.  The following year he was employed as a tutor in the family of a count in the area of Brünn, and temporarily also in the family of Baron von Gumppenberg in Pöttmes, where his father had taken quarters toward the end of his life.  In 1938 Jörg worked in a similar position for the Prince Ruffo in Rome.  The war tore him away, and he ended up at the African front, and then in a POW camp in Alabama for 2 years.  A few years after the war he took the position of director of the City College of Düsseldorf.  He contributed a great deal to the school's expansion, including gaining a number of renowned specialists in various scientific fields as faculty and as guest lecturers.  He himself taught history of literature and art history there.  His initiative is also to thank for the massive new City Education Building. 

Jörg Mager was friends with the well-known writer Max Brod, among others, who visited him in Eichstätt a few weeks before his (Brod's) death (24).  He had worked with him on a biography (25).  Jörg also produced a beautiful literary memorial to his father, and another to his friend and colleague, the poet Julius Maria Becker (27).  A tribute to the Mittermaier ancestors will also soon be published (28). 

This untiring man finally found the time to establish a household in 1961.  He, too, chose the family hometown of Eichstätt for this.  There, in 1971, he built a tasteful and spacious house with his in-laws.  This settling down was hardly a retirement.  His time continued to be filled with Lecture tours and writing.  In 1971 he took a position as a history of literature teacher at Eichstätt Teacher's College.

His young wife Ingrid (nee Burghartz), a born Düsseldorfer, fulfilled her love of nature with the move from the mundane city to the small town.  Her caring and high hopes were lavished on her son, Benedikt (1962). 

So much for the teachers - now for the technicians of the Aschaffenburg Magers:

Matthias (1908), an educated electronics technician, had a lot of injustice to endure during the Hitler period due to his being an active leftist socialist.  This included joblessness, deprivation of freedom, and

(Footnote 24)  Eichstätt Courier, October 2, 1968

(Footnote 25)  Max Brod and the Dubious, in "Max Brod.  A Memorial."   H. Gold Olamenu Publishers, Tel Aviv, 1968.

(Footnote 26)  Jörg Mager, Aschaffenburg Yearbook, vo.3, 1956

(Footnote 27)  Celebratory Speech for Julius Maria Becker.  Illustrated report of Dr. Jörg Mager.  Aschaffenburg News, 1969, No. 164.

(Footnote 28)  Appears in the 1971 Yearbook of the Historical Society of Dillingen.

Page 40

victimization by the military.  After returning home to Aschaffenburg from incarceration in Berlin he found work first as a proofreader of a medical journal, and then found work in his own area of education, and became a consultant.  Again he stood at the battlefront against nationalist-reactionary corruption:  he was chosen as District Chairman of the German Communist Party.  Far removed from fanaticism, he was rather an unflappable character.  His home, run by his wife Charlotte, breathed coziness.  This woman remained unbowed in spite of some worries, and gave Matthias four children.  The oldest of these, Jörg, is employed as a test engineer in Neuß.  Kurt (1942) completed his studies at the University of Würzburg in 1969 with a master's in philosophy.  he is currently an assistant professor at the university.  Helmut, (1946) works as a paper maker in Aschaffenburg.  Daoris (1947) us studying Classical Languages, formerly in Würzburg, and now in Berlin.

Next of Jörg-the-inventor's children after Sophie, Jörg, and Matthias, is Bernhard (1910).  He is an industrious electrician in Aschaffenburg, where he runs a successful business.  Of his three promising children, Johannes (1954) is pursuing his  education at the well known "Regensburger Domspatzen" (Translator's note:  This means "Cathedral Sparrows" and is the name of a private boarding school in Regensburg, a city not far from Munich).  Since 1961 the family has occupied their own home in the Aschaffenburg suburb of Nilkheim.

The youngest of the inventor's children, Siegfried (1914) also represented the family in the area of technology.  The war also tossed him around.  He was a technical officer at the African front, like his brother Jörg.  Having worked for a while with his father, he became the custodian of his patents and brought some of them to the Telefunken AG company, for whom he worked for quite a while.  He then became self-employed in Wipperfürth and busied himself as an inventor of electronic music devices, one of which could be heard as early as 1947 on Cologne Radio.  From his electro-music lab came a "Mager-Organ" and, in connection with the Hohner company of Trossingen, a three-tone harmonium with a high output bellows.  Together with his son Stefan he constructed the "Image-light," a cylindrical table lamp, one of which, with the Mager crest on it, he donated to the Clan Archives.  His wife, Dr. Gertrud Berhausen, who is still teaching, is another of the teachers in this branch of the family.  Of their three children, two have "flown the coop";  Stefan (1946) is a producer in Sidney, and Gertrud (1944) is an interpreter in Brussels.  Georg (1948)  after first studying at the Technical College of Darmstadt, is embarking on a career as a military officer.

Both of Bartholomäus's sons, Rupprecht (1915) and Albrecht (1918) inherited the technical gift of their father.  Both went through school first in Ornbau, then in Arnstadt.  Rupprecht then went to Munich to study dentistry but then switched to teaching.  Working first in Jena, in 1955 he went to Schweinfurt where he has since been a graduate advisor at a girl's school.  In addition to his own area of expertise, he has  

Page 41

considerable knowledge in the varied fields of natural science, chemistry, and medicine.

Albrecht began his study of physics with a scholarship from the city of Arnstadt.  After the war diverted him to Norway for a while, he found temporary refuge in Eichstätt, where his wife was attending the "Teacher Education Institute" (now known as the Gabrieli School).  After completing his studies, he was first employed as an advisor for Physics in Arnstadt, then as an assistant professor at the Physical Sciences Institute, University of Jena.  In 1955 he moved within West Germany and took up a position at the Vakuumschmelze Company in Hanau.  His residence was in Niederrodenbach, now known as "Rodenbach 1," where his wife worked as a teacher.  In 1962 he built a beautiful house, into which his mother, who had been living in Arnstadt, moved.  A large number of publications, patents, etc., most in the field of magnetics, were born of his gift for scientific research but also from untiring industriousness.  Study trips and lecture tours took him, among other places, to The United States, where he met with the relatives in Hillside, Maplewood, and Chicago.  Recently he became chairman of the Magnetics Taskforce  of the German Physics Association, and liaison to the caunterpart group at the Imperial College of Sciences and Technology, London.

Albrecht's daughter Sigrid (1949) has taken up the study of biology.

The Furtwangen Family Branch

The "Tribe Father" of this extended family group is Johann Baptist (Hans) Mager (1864 - 1945), who was a late child, following his brother Eduard by 21 years.  This particular age difference brought with it a similarity in the generations of each side, such that Johann's children are about the same age as his brother's grandchildren. 

The Kaisers probably took their name from the "Kaiserseben" (Imperial Plains), that lie west of the hidden valleys of Gütenbach.  It is mentioned in the church books of Schonach after 1660 a number of times.  The members of the family were farmers in the small villages around Rohrhard Mountain:  Schonach, Kirnach, and Niederwasser;  most of them living on small, widely scattered farms.  What is known for certain is that the Furtwangen Kaisers stem from Thomas Kaiser, who married Rosina Dold in Schonach in 1730.  His grandson of the same name married a daughter of the "cottage farmer" Jakob Kienzler in Baslertal near Schönwald.  The descendants of his son, Augustin (1822 - 1896), scattered far and wide.  He was a farmer and clock maker, and owned a farm in Oberkatzensteig near Furtwangen, near the valley slope known as "Furtwängle" from which both Furtwangen itself, as well as the family of the famous conductor Wilhelm Furtwängler, get their names.  The farm was lost to fire and became a ruin.  Still, in 1930 the archivist was

Page 43

able to recognize the spot where the clock maker's metal dust used to be dumped, at the edge of an otherwise overgrowth of weeds.  Of Augustin's six sons, most took up clock making and settled in Furtwangen and Schönwald.  One of the sons was a parish priest in Ebersweier near Offenburg.  The descendants of the Kaiser children live in Schönwald, Furtwangen, and Zurich, among other places. 

So much for the maternal ancestors of Hans Mager's eight children from his second marriage.  Of his children from the first marriage, the oldest, Hans (1890 - 1932), who was an assistant principal in the city schools of Karlsruhe, died at the age of 42.  His widow Berta (nee Reichert), survived him by 38 years.  Their only son, Helmut, who took part in the war from 1941 to 1945, a large part of it in a POW camp, married the wife of a fallen comrade in 1943.  Now he is an employee of the Federal Railway System.  He lives in Böckingen, a suburb of Heilbronn, where he and his wife have their own home.  The marriage has remained childless.

It is quite the opposite for the second of the Furtwangen line, Karl Friedrich (1892 - 1963).  His life is described  in the 1935 Mager Buch up to the point of his having fallen victim to the usual ways of political informants.  The hope expressed there - that the family's worries over losing their means of support (that is, his public employment), might soon be relieved - fortunately was answered.  In 1936 the Administrative Court of Karlsruhe cancelled his expulsion from the service.  He then was employed as an auditor at the Army Office of Construction in Freiburg, and lived in Denzlingen with his family, until he was able to build his own home in the Freiburg suburb of Betzenhausen.  It was indeed tragic that this beautiful house was destroyed 7 years later by bombs;  But it was a great stroke of good fortune that all four of his sons went to war, and all  returned from the war and the war prisons unharmed!

Fritz's companion Erna (nee Diehr)(1892 - 1970), who stood bravely by his side, died of a stroke at the age of 77.  Industrious and cheerful, she managed to bring her family of eight through the most difficult of times.  A true "Mager Mother" like the two "Cilli's" of the previous generation, she was able to attend a family reunion with her six children, five sons- and daughters-in-law, and thirteen grandchildren (only one was missing), flocking around her. 

This happy group points us to their parents, the sons and daughters of Friedrich and Erna Mager.  The oldest, Hans Erich (1920), PhD.,  Director of the High School for Construction in Meersburg, is with great pain added by the chronicler to the list of the deceased.  Shortly before the completion of this family book,

Page 44

(Photo)  From left to right: 1. Stefanie, Chicago (1961);  2. Monica, Chicago (1960);  3. Olaf, Meersburg (1959);  4. Eva, Breisach (1957);  5. Christof, Chicago (1957);  6. Silke Herbon, Kassel (1957);  7. Gregor, Hamburg (1957);  8. Guido Herbon, Kassel (1956;  9. Ekkehard, Breisach (1954);  10. Simone, Hamburg (1957); 11. Sabine, Meersburg (1955) with baby sister 12. Ute (1965);  13. Dietmar Herbon, Kassel (1955).

which he looked forward to with great interest, he died, on September 6, 1971, at the age of only 52. He had suffered a  serious illness for a month, and was sadly aware of his fate to come.  With his death was lost a modern educator in the best possible sense, who took seriously his responsibility as a teacher and trailblazer in modern education methods.

As an officer who fortunately escaped the high casualty rate at the Eastern Front, he began his studies after the war was over, mainly at Freiburg, but also for a time in Meersburg.  He finished his studies with his doctoral work which required a great deal of research (30).  He then continued his career as a teacher at high schools in Freiburg, Ettenheim, Lahr, and Rheinbischofsheim.  In 1963 he was transferred to an administrative position at the Construction School in Meersburg-on-Bodensee, whose renovations and further construction -  a seven million mark state project - he was very influential in.  The obituary dedicated to him in the "Südkurier" of September 9, 1971, spoke of him as a personality where "...one found authority but compliance, sovereignty but warm-heartedness, strictness but goodness, detachment but love."

The history lesson book on which he collaborated included his large opus , "From Absolutism to Imperialism," referring to the period from Louis the Fourteenth to Lenin and the 2nd World War.  This was a schoolbook, but was also exciting

(Footnote 30)  Studies on the Relationship of the Monks of Cluny to the Essence of the Church. Freiburg, 1956.  Published by J. Wallach, H. E. Mager, and H. Diener in "New Research on Cluny and the Monks of Cluny," Herder Publishing, Freiburg, 1959.

Page 45

to adults (31).  His keynote speech at the opening of the Max Planck School in Lahr was replete with deep thoughts on education and freedom (32).  His works found multifarious accolades in the daily press.  In addition to his wife Gerda (nee Wehrmann) and his four children, he was mourned by all who knew him.

The next oldest brother, Heinrich (1922), often referred to as Heiko, followed his talents toward portraiture.  At first he had to go through the oppression of military service, which he began in the marine academy of Leer in 1940, and he ended up as a mate in a submarine.  In Freiburg he had a simple studio in an adjacent neighborhood to that of his cousin Edwart, through which a happy and friendly neighborly relationship developed, with many discussions about questions of art.  The title-page portrait in this book comes from around that time, as well as the oil portrait "Madame N." shown here, and his expressive self portrait (sketch).  The young artist then attended the Academies of Picture Art in Freiburg and Munich, volunteered as a set builder at the Munich Playhouse, and took a position at the Freiburg Municipal Theater.  In 1951 he was given the responsibility of set builder and production chief at the Municipal Stage of Flensburg.  Then, in July 1958, he became Primary Set Builder at the State Theater of Karlsruhe.

(Footnote 31)  Mager, H.E. in conjunction with von Bahl, F., Mirror of the Times.  Lesson and workbook for history class, vol. 3, M. Diesterweg Publishers, Frankfurt - Munich - Berlin, 1970.

(Footnote 32)  Ibid., An Idea about Higher Education in Our Times.  School Bulletin of Southwest Germany, vol. 56, issue #4, 1957.

(Footnote 33)  "Südkurier" October 31 and November 22, 1963, July 21, 1965, January 31 and March 7, 1968, February 7, 1970, et al.

Page 45

Heiko Mager made his name known as early as 1948 and 1949, by exhibiting in Freiburg (34).  Said a critic about him (July 1949):  "The interesting, but at the same time most problematic of the circle" (meaning a group of independent young painters) "is Heinrich Mager (of Freiburg), who has already been cited several times.   How this 27 year old uses contrast in his oil paintings to intensely bring together otherwise free and arbitrarily invented forms, playing with the colors by contrasting deeps and lights, is extremely respectable," etc.  The sociable, cheerful artists later brought their art more and more to other countries, such as Italy and Tunisia.  Like his older brother, Heiko took his bride from the North of Germany;  he has two grown children.

Without giving up his painting, most of which bordered on the abstract, he changed to television set designer, and worked first in Munich (1961) and later Hamburg.  Around that time we saw the following documentaries, among others, for which he designed the sets, true in every detail to the style of the times in which they took place:  "The Dreyfus Affair and Sir Roger Casement (1968), "Kim Philby,"  and "The Spanish Civil War" (1969). 

With the next oldest son, brother Kurt (1923), still another Mager settled on the far side of the Atlantic Ocean.  At eighteen he was conscripted into the military as an on-the-ground technician in the Luftwaffe (air force).  After being released from an American POW camp he worked as a typist in Freiburg.  In 1950 he took a job with the Anker company (Translator's note:  they made cash registers) in Bielefeld, and was assigned as a field representative in Freiburg.  In 1955  he relocated to Detroit as Business and Development Leader for his firm.  In 1960 he then went to Chicago, and built a beautiful family home in Des Plaines, Illinois.  He was visited by his mother in 1964, and by his cousin Albrecht in 1968 of Rodenbach.  His wife Sofie (nee Duffner) gave him a lovely trio of children.  So, a new American branch of the family is developing.

Of the four brothers only the youngest,  Theobald (Theo 1926) stayed in the home area.  He dedicated himself to be a businessman, and finished his education in Freiburg.  He didn't avoid the fate of military service and imprisonment either.  Although his POW conditions were bearable, he was held in England until

(Footnote 34)  "Badische Zeitung,"  Freiburg, October 9, 1948;  May 7, July 9, and October, 1949;  "Das Volk," Freiburg 1948, No. 88.


the middle of 1947.  A few years later the ambitious young businessman opened a houseware and hardware business in Breisach.  He was fortunate enough to build a large circle of customers on both sides of the Rhine, and had the support of his wife Emilie, who had been educated as a home economics teacher.  In the last few years he has significantly expanded his business, which counts among the most well regarded in the area.  Two industrious children promise to continue the family.

Of Friedrich Mager's daughters, the older one, Maria (1929), was educated as a Housekeeping teacher, and spent a long time in Baden-Baden in this capacity.  In 1952 she married Harry Herbon, of Danzig,, who was a student teacher at the time.  Soon thereafter he was employed as a college professor in Hildesheim, then in East Friesland, and a few years later in Kassell.  As part of a teacher's exchange, the family lived for a year in the United States (Ottawa, Kansas), while their house in the Kassell suburb of Kirchditmold was occupied by an American family.

Ursula (1936), once known as "Nesthäkchen" (Translator's note:  Literally "little nest hook,"  figuratively "baby of the family.") attended trade school in Freiburg and was employed as an office assistant, among other things, in a government office.  She then worked at a bank, and finally as a secretary in a company that made farm equipment.   In 1960 she spent one month with a French family in Paris, where she took care of the children, and in that way acquired some knowledge of the language.  In 1967 she married the watch maker and jeweler Max Hog, a versatile and clever businessman.  After they gave up their business in the "zum Gipfel" building in the Old Town section of Freiburg in 1970, he took a position in the business department of the Freiburg Tourist Bureau, while she is employed as an office employee with the roads department. 

With Johann Mager's daughter Anna Maria (1895),  another connection to Switzerland , from where the Emmenegger ancestors came to Zepfenhan in the 17th century, was forged.  She married the pipe fitter Isidor Langenegger in Zürich and after his death she married the postal employee Walter Kunz, also in Zürich.  In 1861 she died of cancer.  Her daughter Annemarie Langenegger was a nurse in the Herbasana Sanatorium in Lucerne for many years.  For the past few years she has been at the Zürich City Hospital, working on the eldercare ward.  Her son from her second marriage, Walter Kunz, who is a machine engineer, lives in Konolfingen near Bern;  In addition to his job, he is also a zealous collector of old clocks. 

The family group stemming from Johann Mager's second marriage to Cäcilia Kaiser is also fairly extensive.  We first mention here the oldest, Emil (1897 - 1961), who lived as an unassuming painter's helper in Furtwangen.  After 32 years of marriage to his wife Pauline, he lost her, and at the age of 64 he became a victim of cancer.  Three of his children, who work in industries in Furtwangen, have found  comfortable shelter in the home of their father's sister.

Page 48

Far more extensive are the progeny of Josef (1900) who, a businessman by education, worked starting in 128 first as a cashier, then for a health insurance office, and finally as an administrator and director of the local health department in Furtwangen.  Since December, 1965, he has lived there in retirement.  His wife Genovefa (1902 - 1963)(nee Schwab), suffered for years with a chronic illness which was very difficult toward the end.  This was a great burden on the family.  Still, he can look upon his 6 children and 11 grandchildren with satisfaction.  Benno, the oldest (1930) at first tried teaching, and also married a teacher from Silesia, Roswitha Wroblewski.  In the end he found congenial work as an employee of the Federal Insurance Commission in Karlsruhe.  His wife is a teacher in Karlsruhe - no small feat for someone with 4 small children.

Josef's younger son, Reinhard (1940), got his specialty education at the State  School for  Precision Engineering in Furtwangen, the former Trade School.  In 1963 he worked as a mathematics technician at the American firm of Litton in Freiburg.  In 1964/5 he was employed in a similar position in Cairo, where he was accompanied by his young wife Sieglinde (nee Heidegger).  Due to this, his first son is a 'native African.'  Since 1966 he has been a departmental head at the Bölkow firm in Nabern near Dettingen-under-Teck. 

Josef's oldest child, his daughter Rita (1932) worked for a string of years as  a medical assistant for the then well known Furtwangen doctor, Dr. Wintermantel.  After he died she went to work as a lab tech in the hospital in Furtwangen, which was rebuilt in 1970.  Meanwhile she has been caretaker and housekeeper for her father. 

(Photo)  Sr. Lisbeth Mager tends to native children in Poko (Congo)

Page 49

The sisters following Rita live far from home.  Lisbeth (1933), after working for a while as a pastor's assistant, completed her nursing studies at the Institute for Missionary Medicine in Würzburg.  She was sent as a pediatric nurse to India (1958) (35), and Africa (Ghana) (1963)(36).  In 1967/8 she took a course in midwifery at the University of Heidelberg, and learned the basics of dentistry from a Furtwangen dentist.  With this expanded knowledge she returned to Africa, this time in the Congo, at the Poko mission.  The vivid reports that she has sent to us from there show a cheerful, though responsible, disposition, which manages to continually prevail in the face of heavy burdens such as climate, difficult travel (jungle), emergency operations, interaction with lepers, etc. (37).

The third sister, Luitgard (1934), married the technician Winfried Diemer of Furtwangen, who works in uranium ore mining.  They live in Ontario, Canada.  Shortly before the death of her mother in 1963, Luitgard had the opportunity to visit Furtwangen with her 2 older children.   Her sister Franziska (1945), who was the youngest of Josef's children, stayed in the country and was the wife of the engineer Hans Peter Gerland, who was a partner and director in his father's screw factory in Triberg.  Franziska is the mother of a young pair of siblings. 

It is certainly noteworthy to be mentioned, that the 4 sisters as children, and even later by the various dying of their hair, all had different hair color:  Rita brown, Lisbeth blond, Luitgard dark, and "Fränze" strawberry blond. 

Anton Mager (1907) came up with "only" nine grandchildren, as opposed to the eleven of his older brother.  He has been employed for years in an upper position (machine tool inspector) at Feldmühle Industries in Plochingen.  His lives in his own home with his wife Leopoldine (Lea) (nee Bächle), in the mountain village of  Stumpenhof above Plochingen.  From this house one has a broad view of the Neckar valley, and a large part of the Alb (Translator's note:  a mountain range in southern Germany, not the alps), and can pick out the villages of Teck, Hohenneufen, and Hohenzollern - a beautiful spot for the now retired couple!  With their two sons, we come across the "technical" trade again:  Hubert (1936), a state licensed technician, for many years led the "Protected Workplace" of the Caritas Association in Stuttgart, in which mentally and physically handicapped carry on useful work.  Recently he is working in a similar position at a rehabilitation center run by the Gustav-Werner Institute, a Lutheran organization in Reutlingen.  His son Anton, Jr. (1937) is employed as a government inspector at the Plochingen Survey Office. Both brothers (Josef and Anton) have wives that are exiles from the East.  On the other hand, Roswitha (1942) followed her husband,

(Footnote 35)  Reported in the 1959 wall calendar of the Medical Missions Institute of Würzburg.

(Footnote 36)  Yearly Bulletin of the Medical Missions Institute of Würzburg, 1964 (with photo on page 140) and 1965, pages 44-45.  Four Towers Publishing, Münsterschwarzach, 1944.

(Footnote 37)  See report in "Südkurier" (Constance), April 10, 1971.

Page 50

Johannes Skulpik, to his home area in Westphalia, while Johanna (1947) married in Stuttgart.

The youngest of the Furtwangen Mager brothers, August (1910), a skilled clock maker, has been employed in the world renowned Junghans Brothers clock factory in Schramberg for 42 years;  At first in pocket watches, and later in the assembly department.  He and his wife Emma (nee Schwab) raised four industrious young peaople:  The oldest, Brigitte (1940), passed her nursing exams after 3 years of study at the Marienhospital in Stuttgart.  She was then an operating room nurse for a few years both there and in Schramberg before becoming head O.R. nurse in the gynecology department at the public hospital in Aalen.  Her younger sister, Elisabeth (1941) also pursued nursing, beginning her studies in Schramberg.  She passed her nursing exams in Stuttgart in 1962, and then worked in the Neurosurgery Clinic at the University of Freiburg.  Four years later she married Georg Thoma, who is now Chief Inspector, and she gave him 2 sons.  So, there are now 3 Mager families who have settled in Freiburg.

Of August Mager's sons, both passed their school exams at the High School in Schramberg.  Bernhard (1943) after finishing his military service in 1965 in Regensburg, began the study of medicine at the Universities of Freiburg and Hamburg, and finished in 1971.  He married his young wife Martha Rodriguez, a  petite South American, in 1970.  She is educated as maxillo-facial surgeon.  They intend possibly to go to her home country of Columbia to work eventually.  Bernhard's brother, Josef (1945), studied for a year at the teacher's college in Weingarten, and after serving his military obligation he took up modern languages at the Universities of Freiburg and Poitiers.  He intends to teach.

Of the 5 sisters of the Furtwangen Mager Family, 2 are/were married.  Anna Maria (1895) has already been discussed (page 47).  In addition to her, we need to mention the much younger Johanna (1911), who married the joiner Lorenz Herzog in 1936 in the beautifully situated Black Forest village of Tennenbronn.  He worked for a long time in a furniture factory in Schramberg, and then "transferred" to the Junghans company.  Johanna has remained childless, but has repeatedly assumed custody of foster children, and passed a lot of time with housework. A particularly warm and cheerful feeling prevails at their home which, though small, sits on a beautiful sunny hillside. 

Of the unmarried sisters, Gertrude (1913) has been employed as a bookkeeper for over 40 years at the well-respected electro-technical manufacturer Dold. Thanks to her skill and industriousness she was able to buy a good sized home in 1962 for herself and her 2 sisters, who are now retired.  It is set on the upper reaches of a sunny hillside.  Three of the children of her deceased brother Emil also live there.

So we have seen that the "Black Foresters" of the Mager Family, at least in their recent generations, have pretty much stayed in the area.  They are characterized also by the preponderance of their relatively strong representation in the fields of technology, charity, and healing. 

In contrast to them, and to the Deißlingen branch, the Eichstätt branch have scattered somewhat further from the original home area;  they have a strong presence in both the Munich and Lower Main areas.  Still, the old home area hasn't been left altogether:   for a few - Sophie, Jörg, Edwart - it has become the place of retirement, either entirely or on a part time basis;  this on account of both inheritance (as for Cilli Würfl), and new aquisition. 

One may also cite the older generation of the American Mager group as not straying far. They are, almost without exception, settled in the general surrounding area of the home of their parents in Newark;  in Hillside, Maplewood, Verona, Rahway, South Orange - all in the State of New Jersey.  The grandchildren have scattered farther; they can be found in New Orleans, and the "Atomic City" of Oak Ridge, among other places.  Most of these families have produced a considerable number of children.  A striking number of students can be counted among the younger generation. Among the American spouses one sees German, Italian, Irish, and Polish represented - an example of the "American melting pot."

As a sign of the times, relatively many Eastern Bloc exiles can be counted among the spouses of the German Family Branches.  The Family Tree Tables show 6 of these in the Eichstätt branch, 5 in the Furtwangen branch, and one in the Zepfenhan group.  The homeland of the spouse is Silesia in 6 of these cases, and 2 each in Danzig, Brandenburg, and Böhmen.

Otherwise it may also be noted that some of the marriages include individuals from  distant parts of the original home area.  Certainly it can't hurt if in this way new blood flows into the Mager clan that has been settled in the Swabian and Bavarian lands for centuries. 

The contents of this site are Copyright © 2001. No portion of this site may be copied, retransmitted, printed, or otherwise used for any commercial purpose without written permission.